To Report an Absence, Dial 510-247-0665, ext. 7003
|Prompt arrival to class is essential for academic success. Missing class for any reason interferes with student progress, since each class contains instructional information or activities that are essential to the student.|
EVERY day a child is absent from school, a parent/guardian must verify the absence within 72 hours of the absence by calling the Attendance Office voicemail at 510-247-0665, ext. 7003.
Please be sure to state:
- Student's name, including spelling of the last name
- Date and period of absence
- Reason for the absence
- Caller's relationship to the student
- The best call-back number should we have questions
A written verification signed by the parent/guardian may also be used to report absences.
An automatic attendance phone-dialer, working in conjunction with our attendance computer, will attempt to make day and evening calls when absences are not verified. Failure to verify the absence within 72 hours will result in the student receiving unexcused absences and possible truancy consequences.
Student absences are categorized according to the following guidelines.
- School-sponsored Activity (e.g. athletic event, drama, music, student government)
- Illness/medical verified within 72 hours
- Bereavement verified within 72 hours
- Prior approval from principal/designee (may be given for religious holiday, family emergency, extended bereavement, court appearance, etc.)
- Parent/guardian notifies school of absence not allowed by law (ie vacation, work, oversleeping, baby-sitting, visiting relatives, traffic/car problems)
- School directed exclusion (e.g. suspension, lack of immunization)
- Absence verified by parent/guardian after the 72-hour time limit
- Truancy/skipping class
- Absence not verified by a parent/guardian
An automatic attendance phone-dialer, working in conjunction with our attendance computer, will attempt to make day and evening calls when a student is marked with an unexcused tardy in any class.
The consequences of unexcused tardies are as follows:
- Total of 3 tardies = A Tardy Warning Notification is sent home
- Total of 5 tardies = One hour detention
- Total of 10 tardies = Two hour long detentions are served and a Tardy Letter is sent home
- Total of 15 tardies = Second Tardy Letter and a School Attendance Review Team meeting at Creekside
- Total of 20 tardies = Recommendation to School Attendance Review Board at District Office