Any pupil subject to compulsory full-time education or to compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without a valid excuse three full days in one school year or tardy or absent for more than any 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof, is a truant and shall be reported to the attendance supervisor. Any student who is absent from school without a valid excuse for ten percent or more of the school days in one school year, from the date of enrollment to the current date, is deemed a chronic truant.
Truancy Interventions (unexcused absences)
- 3 Absences - 1st Truancy Letter - serves as a reminder to the parent/guardian to address the student’s attendance issues and to avoid possible future truancy interventions.
- 6 Absences - 2nd Truancy Letter - Student Attendance Review Team meeting (SART) with the School Administrator, Counselor, Parent, and Student (Attendance Contract)
- 9 Absences - 3rd Truancy Letter - Student Attendance Review Board meeting (SARB) at the District Office. This is a truancy intervention program mediated by the county's district attorney or probation officer, and/or juvenile court. Also in attendance are the Student Resource Officer (SRO), District Personnel, School Administrator, Parent, and Student.
- 10 Illness Absences - A medical note from the doctor is required for the eleventh day and all additional days of illness if the student has had 10 prior illness absences without a doctor’s note.
Students are expected to be in their seats when the period begins. It is our belief that being on time to classes is an important trait directly related to success in school. When a student enters the classroom late it causes a disruption. It is during the first part of the period that the lesson’s objectives are explained, assignments are corrected, and new assignments are discussed.
- 5 Tardies - 1st Tardy Letter & 30-minute Detention
- 10 Tardies - 1-hour Detention
- 15 Tardies - 2nd Tardy Letter & SART (Attendance Contract)
- 20 Tardies - 3rd Tardy Letter & SARB