Short Term Independent Study Requests
Attention Parents/Guardians: There are new rules and procedures for Independent Study.
The instructions on the Binder Reminder are no longer valid.
- All Independent Study Agreement requests must be given to the teacher(s) at least 15 school days prior to the first day of the absence.
- Download the “Independent Study Agreement Form”. Please fill out request completely and sign and date.
- Bring the completed Request to the Front Office and meet with the Attendance Technician, Mrs. Fong, and she will go over the contract with the student and inform them what needs to be done next.
- One Independent Study contract is needed for each student (if you have multiple students that need to go on Independent Study).
- The parent/student will be notified when the agreement has been approved or disapproved.
A short-term Independent Study contract is a voluntary alternative to a regular classroom program of instruction when a student is absent from school for not less than five (5) and not more than ten (10) consecutive school days. No Independent Study agreements are allowed the first 10 days of the school year, nor the last 15 days of the school year. Schools are not obligated to provide students with an Independent Study contract. The availability of an Independent Study contract must be agreed upon by mutual consent of the Principal, students teachers, parent/guardian, and student. Students should only be placed on Independent Study if the student can successfully accomplish their academics. All assigned work is due on the day upon which the student is scheduled to return to school as per the Agreement. No late work will be accepted. If the work is not completed in its entirety, the student will not be qualified to receive Independent Study in the future, up to 3 years.